Banner Images

Welcome to Day 9 of Janet and Randy's Kauai Adventure 2017

Friday, November 24, 2017

Our new room is much closer to where the parakeets nest at night, so at 6:30am, we were woken by some very loud cheep, cheep, cheep, CHEEP (repeat CHEEP like 10,000 more times) of the birds as they prepared to fly off for the day.

Randy went out for a quick run (it was a run until I saw my parents out for their morning walk, and I joined them... then it became a morning walk), and then we had breakfast.  Randy wanted to try to go to Larsen's Beach today, so around 9:30am, we headed out the door.  It took about an hour to drive up there.  It had obviously been raining quite a bit up north, as the dirt road we took to the beach was quite muddy.  There was only 1 other car in the parking lot when we got there, which was unusual. 

The trail down to the beach was quite mucky and we had to be careful in areas so we didn't slip and fall.  Once we got down to the beach, it was very windy.  So windy that it was too cold to sit out on the beach itself.  Randy found a sheltered area back from the beach in some vegetation, so we set up our blanket and towels there.  We were out of the wind, but we couldn't actually see the beach from where we were.  Because of the high surf, there were some very strong waves and currents, so you didn't even want to venture into the water.  So, wasn't really worth the muddy trek down, but since we were there, we lay out in the sun for a while. The high surf had brought quite a bit of rubbish, ie: plastics, ropes and some buoys.

After about an hour, a bunch of clouds rolled in and it started to sprinkle a bit.  With the sun behind the clouds, it was a little cool, so we decided to pack up and head back up to the car.  When we got to the parking lot, there were a lot more cars than before.  We drove back towards Lihue to go for lunch.  On the way, we stopped at Kealia Beach to use the beach showers to wash the mud off our sandals and feet.  Some days I don't mind getting a little mucky, but today was not one of those days.  So, I was very glad to get the mud all cleaned up before we continued much further.

Once in Lihue, we went to Hamura's Saimin (one of our favourite places) for lunch.  Even though it was 1:30pm, the place was packed.  We had to wait about 10 minutes for a couple of seats to open up.  I ordered a small saimin soup and Randy had a large one.  It definitely hit the spot. We had sat beside a young couple that were only on Kauai for a few days and were looking for other suggestions.  So we had a nice little chat with them.

On the way back to Poipu, we stopped at Costco and Safeway to pick up a few things, and got back to our resort around 3:00pm.  We showered up and then headed over to the Tori Richard store to pick up the items we had put on hold.  For Friday, Saturday and Sunday, they had some scratch cards where you could get some cash or a percentage off your purchase.  So, we had waited until today to see if we could get some sort of discount on the clothes.  We were each given a scratch card.  I scratched 25% off entire purchase, and Randy scratched a free cap.  We went with the 25% off, which was better than a free cap that we didn't need. I was hoping the gal would give us both... but no luck there

We got back to the room just as it started raining.  I worked on the journal until it was time to meet up with Harold and Lil to go out to Kintaro for supper.  When we got to the restaurant, Ben and Kathy were already there.  We were seated a few minutes later.  It was a good thing we had made reservations a few days ago, as the restaurant was packed with a lot of large groups.

Shortly after we sat down, our waiter dropped off some complimentary deep-fried won tons and some Japanese pickles.  We ordered some gyoza, flash poke and a bunch of different maki rolls (see pictures on the web album).  Randy and I were in charge of ordering the food, and we ended up with exactly the right amount of food.  Not bad, if I do say so myself.  Kintaro has yet again lived up to my expectations !  The food is always fabulous and I love going !

It had rained off an on all day, and it was raining again on our way back from the restaurant.  Here's to hoping that the weather is better tomorrow!


Surf on over to Day 9 Hula on back to Day 7


Copyright © 2017, Polihale Consulting Ltd.