Banner Images

Welcome to Day 2 of Janet and Randy's Maui Adventure 2014

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Breakfast on the lanaiWoke up at 5:30am and couldn't get back to sleep.  After having a rest, I was able to easily figure out the problem I was having last night and was able to upload my pictures.  It seems that going to bed was the right course of action after all.  (Yes, Randy, you were right).

Randy went out for a run while I updated the travel journal.  When he got back we had some breakfast on the lanai, then showered up and headed out to do some running around.  We went into Kahului and went to the Longs Drugs to get some sunscreen.  It was 9:30am on a Sunday, but it was crazy busy in there.  Not sure why there were so many people in there.  It was either because there was a cruise ship in port or the fact that there was a big sale on Folgers coffee and canned Vienna sausages (the guy in line ahead of us had a cart full of both).

After getting our sunscreen, we headed to Costco to get some vodka.  We ended up buying some poke and a another pineapple as well (the pineapple was only $1.99!).  Randy was very happy now that he had some vodka and some poke.  Since we had raw fish, we decided to head back to the condo to get it in the fridge.  But first we had to do some 'quality control' tasting of the poke before we put it in the fridge.  We had to 'test' a lot of it - and it passed the test!  What was left went into the fridge.

It was just after 11:00am, but both of us were getting hungry.  Our stomachs were obviously still on Alberta time.  We went to Da Kitchen in Kihei for some lunch.  Randy ordered the chicken katsu, and I got a teriyaki beef plate lunch.  It wasn't until I started eating that I realized that I was really hungry (Randy was hungry too).  We barely talked during lunch - just kept shoving food into our mouths.  It was really good and it hit the spot.

After lunch, we stopped at a fruit stand in Kihei to get some more fruit.  Got a couple types of mango, some more banana and some lilikoi.  We're all set for a fruit-a-polooza for breakfast tomorrow.  Then we headed back into Kahului to do some shopping.  We went to Macy's and found a couple of shirts for me, and a couple of shirts for Randy. 

Janet at Little BeachIt was a hot day (91 degrees), and after driving around in the convertible, I was starting to feel a little heat-stroked.  So, we headed back to the condo and lay down in the nice, cool air-conditioning and had a nap.  I zonked right out - and SO needed the nap.  I woke up just as Randy was opening up the vodka to have a drink (good timing).  We had a drink out on the lanai, as it was still a little stuffy in the unit.  The bedroom is air conditioned, but the rest of the unit isn't. 

Around 4:00pm, we headed over to Little Beach to check out the interesting party/drum circle that happens on Sunday nights.  It was still quite warm out - but at least it wasn't as hot as it was earlier.  We hung out on the beach until around 6:00pm, then went back to the condo and rinsed off.  Randy decided he was in the mood for some sushi, so we headed out for supper.

Randy had wanted to go to a particular sushi place, but when we got there it wasn't open.  So, we went across the street to a place called Paradise Sushi.  This was just a small little place with a couple of tables.  The only spots open were at the sushi bar - which was fine with us.  The restaurant basically sold just sushi - no hot meals like teriyaki chicken or udon noodle soup.  We ordered an avocado roll, a tuna roll, a California roll, a spicy tuna roll and a tempura shrimp roll. 

The waitress was a little on the slow side, but she eventually came around to take our order.  The one sushi chef was quite busy putting together sushi for the other customers that were already there when we arrived - so it took a little while before we got our food.  After being in the sun all day, I was having trouble staying awake, and Randy had to nudge me a few times while we were waiting.  Our food finally arrived, and it was worth the wait.  The fish was so tender and tasty. Yum. 

After stuffing ourselves, we drove back to the condo and I enjoyed a drink while uploading pictures and updating the journal.  Around 9:00pm, I was having a hard time keeping my eyes open, so decided to head to bed.

Go to Day 3 Back to Day 1


Copyright 2014, Polihale Consulting Ltd.