Banner Images

Welcome to Day 12 of Janet and Randy's Kauai Adventure 2014

Monday, November 17th, 2014

Janet on the Na Pali coastToday we had booked a cruise with Liko Kauai Cruises for a cruise along the Na Pali coast.  The cruise left at 8:00am from Waimea, so we left the resort before 7:30.  We stopped at the Kauai Kookie Cafe in Kalaheo to share a warm cinnamon bun (and a latte for Randy), and continued on to Kikialoa Harbour - just outside of Waimea.

We arrived right on time, but the gal to check us in arrived around 10 minutes later.  We were checked in and on the boat just after 8:00am.  We had Captain Rob and Darrell as our crew members, and they were very knowledgeable and informative (and passionate about Kauai and Hawaiian culture).  The ride out to the Na Pali Coast was a little on the rough side, with quite large swells, so we had to make sure we were seated or had a good hold on a railing.  It was rough, but I enjoyed the ride. I was just thankful none of the other passengers got sea sickness.

Along the way, we saw several pods of dolphins.  At first we saw some bottle nose dolphins, and then we saw some spinner dolphins.  It was really cool to see. Especially the Spinners

We cruised along the Na Pali coast almost to Ke'e Beach, then turned around and headed back. The ride back was much smoother as we were going with the wind and with the swells.

Na Pali CoastOn the way back the captain had us going farther out from the coast, which was much smoother.  We came to a calm spot and stopped to have some lunch.  Lunch was sandwiches, chips and drinks.  After lunch, Randy and I sat up front on the bow, with our legs dangling in front of the boat.  That was a lot of fun.  We then headed to a nearby snorkelling spot.  Randy and I went into the water to just swim around, but didn't actually snorkel.  The water was warm, and it was great to just hang out in the ocean.  After about 45 minutes, we all got back on the boat and headed back to shore.  At this point, they handed out some dessert - which was some homemade chocolate chip cookies.  Yum. 

We sat back out on the bow of the boat for the remaining 10 minute ride to the harbour. We arrived back just after 1:00pm.  The weather was awesome the entire time.  Warm weather and not a cloud in the sky.  A very enjoyable day. 

After the cruise, we drove back to our resort and showered off all the sea salt.  We then jumped back in the car to head to Lihue to catch a Farmer's Market and get some more fruit.  We also went to Fish Express and picked up some Ahi tuna to grill for supper.  Along with that, we got some wasabi cream sauce (to go on the Ahi), rice and cocktail shrimp.  Then it was back to the resort, to catch the sunset (and some beverages) from our balcony.

Once the sun had set, Randy expertly grilled up the Ahi, and we had supper on the lanai.  It was perfect amount of food.  After supper, we went for a walk across the street and ended up laying on the grass on the lawn of the Beach House Restaurant looking up at the stars.  Then it was back to our room, where I spent time catching up on the journal.

Randy's parents were arriving this evening and staying at a condo across the street.  We had bought some fruit for them to have for breakfast the next morning.  At 10:30pm, Randy was tired of waiting for them to arrive, so he took the bag of fruit across the street and just left it in front of their door.  Then he went to bed.  (I had gone to bed myself at around 9:00pm).


Surf on over to Day 2 Hula on back


Copyright 2014, Polihale Consulting Ltd.